Sometimes clients arrive at our facilities with nothing but the clothes they are wearing. You can support these individuals and families who are transitioning out of homelessness and domestic violence by providing essential items.
Below is a list of items that we can always use. Donated items should be dropped off at Building Futures’ offices. We ask that donated clothing be new and other items be in good condition.
Before dropping off items, please make an appointment by calling 510-357-0205 ext. 206. Donations are accepted weekdays between 9AM and 4PM (except holidays). Please do not leave items at our door after hours. They will be discarded. Thank you for understanding.
You can also donate items through our Amazon Wish List.
Building Futures is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, Federal Tax ID # 94-3100741. We will provide you with a receipt for tax purposes for your donation. When gifting from an Amazon wish list be sure to fill out the “from” part with your full name and email address or mailing address.
Building Futures is proud to be housing more families than ever before! Our aim is to connect 150 households to housing in the year ahead. As they rebuild after homelessness and domestic violence, most will be moving to their new homes with only a few personal items. You can help today and get them off to a positive start with much-needed household supplies!
♥ GIFT CARDS
Gift cards are amazing, allowing the family the flexibility to choose what they need most and fulfill the basic housing needs. Please donate gift cards in increments of $25 so that they can be evenly distributed. Especially needed are gifts cards from Walmart, Target, Walgreens, and CVS or Visa gift cards. Download our flyer for individuals for more information.
♥ ONLINE CAMPAIGN
By making an online donation, you can “shop” for a newly housed family with our housewarming “gift registry.” We use the money donated to buy the most-needed items and fill in the gaps for our families. We aim to provide all of the necessary items someone would need for the first month of housing. Check out our Online Campaign for the full list of items!
♥ BUILD A MOVE-IN KIT
Download our flyers:
Warming Shelter Donations
(Donation dates: October–April)
- Men’s underwear (especially larger sizes and new, in package)
- Men’s socks (new, in package)
- Women’s socks (new, in package)
- Women’s underwear (new, in package)
- Women’s sports bras (various sizes)
- Gloves and knit hats (for cold weather, various sizes)
- Hand warmers
- Crossword puzzles / Word search
- Sleeping bags (clean, new or as-new condition)
- Men’s sweatpants, sweatshirts, T-shirts (especially larger sizes and new, in package)
Download our flyer:
Supplies for Shelters and Residents
(Donation dates: year-round)
- Toilet paper
- Twin sheets
- Pillows (new, unused)
- Towels & washcloths
- New women’s underpants & socks
- Adult and child flip-flops
- Batteries (D, AA & AAA)
- AC Transit & BART passes
- Refillable beverage bottles
- New children’s underwear & socks
- New children’s pajamas
- Character nightlights
- Cleaning products (unopened, sealed)
- Toilet paper, paper towels
- Pinesol, Comet, Simple Green, Fabuloso cleaners
- Laundry detergent antibacterial liquid soap
- Light bulbs, flashlights & batteries
- Flatware / silverware
- Brooms, dustpans, mops (new)
- Blankets, sheets, linens, pillows (twin)
- Ziploc freezer bags—gallon & sandwich size
- Kitchen trash bags—13 gallon
- Drawstring garbage bags—33 gallon
- Lysol air freshener
(Donation dates: year-round)
All items must be new and unopened. While full size toiletries are preferred, we also gratefully accept travel size.
- Shampoo, full size (including curly/natural hair)
- Conditioner, full size (including curly/natural hair)
- Body wash, full size or bar soap
- Body lotion, full size
- Razors (for women and for men)
- Nail clippers (small or child size)
- Loofas to scrub body
- Tissue packets, travel size
- Shower caps
*We accept packages of diapers that have been opened
Items We Do Not Accept:
- Perishable food items (to donate meals to our shelters, visit our volunteer page)
- Used pillows
- Visibly worn adult clothes
- Large appliances (refrigerators, stoves, washing machines)